Counseling at LHS
The goal of the counseling program is to help students succeed in their academic and personal lives. This help may take many forms and offers a confidential environment where students can explore solutions to their problems. Counselors are available primarily to provide personal support and college guidance, while questions concerning class schedules, grades, credits and similar topics are discussed with Advisors.
Each student at Leadership High School has access to a counselor who offer support with a multitude of issues accompanying adolescence, including:
- classroom concerns & academic motivation
- personal decision making
- self-concept issues
- peer and friendship concerns
- dealing with conflict & crisis
- external issues which affect school performance
Our counselor offers one-on-one support to students. All students are encouraged to seek out their counselor to discuss any personal matters of importance. Students may also be referred by staff members or parents. Confidentiality is maintained with the exception of information that suggests danger to the student’s well-being or the well-being of another. Parents are not automatically notified when students meet with the counselor, but are welcome to make appointments to discuss concerns.
Our counselor also works with many community programs and services to support our students’ achievement and personal growth. When students have significant needs requiring more ongoing or involved support, our counselor may refer them to professionals outside the School. In these instances, the counselor stays involved in the student’s progress.
Through Advisory and other venues, the counselor provides all students assistance with college planning, including:
- appropriate high school course selection
- college admissions test preparation & registration
- the college admissions process & application assistance
- financial aid information & application assistance
- college admission and financial aid nights for students and parents
- campus visits from college admissions & financial aid professionals
For more information regarding college planning, visit http://college.lhssf.org